Monday, October 1, 2012

Top 5 Public Intellectuals


Per Wikipedia (not the most reliable) but the following appeared on the 2008 list as the top 5 public intellectuals.
4.   Orhan Pamuk
5.   Aitzaz Ahsan

I know Wikipedia is not the most creditable when it comes to using as a resource. But I thought it was very interesting the people who are on the list. I unfortunately only know of one of the people on this list and I found that interesting as well. Because I thought that it would be so interesting to poll the everyday person of who they (of course after defining the term) believe are public intellectuals.
I know that some would need to be provided the proper definition of a public intellectual. For me some of my public intellectuals would be everyday people like my supervisor or a certain professor of MLS 590.
I am just wondering who do you all consider to be your public intellectuals in your everyday life and why?



3 comments:

  1. I find it really interesting that none the individuals on this list are from the United States. I looked up the rest of the Wikipedia list because I was curious who else was on it. Our first American intellectual representative, Noam Chomsky, isn’t listed until number 11, follow by Al Gore in the twelfth spot. Most of the top individuals listed seem to be of Middle Eastern decent. However, the 2005 list has Noam Chomsky listed as number one. Do you find it interesting that U.S intellectuals are listed so low in 2008? What do you think occurred in the three years between lists that resulted in lower American representation and a spike in foreign intellectuals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I know which of the five you know... #2 Yunus ? :) Someone who developed the concepts of microcredit and microfinance and changed the lives of millions is definately someone notable of being a public intellectual. This is someone I wish I had added to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jen you do know why I know Yunus who I can definitely see why eh is on this list. He made a significant change for the new business owners.

      Delete