Monday, October 29, 2012

Self Check Please.


 
I know there were many who could not believe that some of the ads that Deepa Kumar showed thought they were a little comical. I know for me I could not believe that people were being this blatant in stereotyping. But in seeing this first had I did not find anything comical. A few weekends ago I witnessed firsthand how a person who was wearing a hijab was being pretty much harassed and on so many levels I was disgusted and hurt. This woman was heading out of the store when someone asked her if she could lift her hijab. She did not speak English very well and my big mouth thought it was important to remind the sales clerk that she was violating this women’s civil right and could receive a heft lawsuit for _ _ _ _stro_ (fill in the blanks.) I know I will not be shopping there anymore. It is so important for people to understand that when you profile and stereotyping is a form of adult bullying in the Shavonn’s dictionary. I would have loved for Deepa to open the floor for many of us who are not from the Islam faith to provide some answers of how to help and check ourselves and others when the phobia (Islamphobia) comes up.
For me a woman who has been discriminated for because of my skin, I feel it is my right to speak up for those who cannot speak the language or cannot set someone straight in their bold ignorance of asking someone to remove their hijab. I ask nicely check yourself and others so we do not fall victim to adult bullying also known as stereotyping.

No comments:

Post a Comment